logo banner
Home spacer About Us spacer Mt. Blue/Tumbledown Project spacer The Region spacer Trails spacer Photos spacer Donate spacer Notices spacer Links
HISTORIC PHOTOS    >> Back to Photos

Mountain Climbing in Maine

This pamphlet was put out around 1940 by the Maine Development Commission.  It prominently features several views of what is now Mt Blue State Park and the work recently completed there.  Opposite page 1 we see the new road up to the Center Hill overlook, with Tumbledown in the distance.  Extensive open fields are visible along Center Hill Road below.  On page 62 (bottom photo) we see the new shelter and parking lot, again set against the Tumbledown range.  Look at those new cars!  The photo on page 6 shows the  new overlook across Center Hill Road from park headquarters and the field so popular with blueberryers today.  Also of interest is the view of Tumbledown from the west, somewhere along the Byron Notch Road (page 9), an open view impossible today.

We thought it might be interesting for you to read the old trail descriptions too.  Note the mentions of landmarks now missing, as well as now grown up fields, and the evolution of the name of Parker Ridge.  But don't use these for trail directions – use a current guide.


tca address email address